Saturday, March 15, 2014

Longo Mai

IT HAS BEEN SO WONDERFUL HAVING MY MOM HERE. We have done so much, she came at the best time and has gotten to experience the beauty of Costa Rica that a lot of people will never see. 

Okay so on Monday she got here at noon. The charger on my cell phone broke so I have been conserving the battery until she got here with a new one, so the whole taxi ride it was turned off. 30 minutes and 30 dollars later, we arrived at the airport. Without my cell phone. An hour later and another $60 we were back with iPhone and only communication with my mama in hand. Annoying. Anxiety. Alive and in the arms of my mama! AH! Tears. 

Spanglish with our taxi driver. 

Escazu here we come!
We spent 2 and a half days at a fancy resort together. It was amazing, but also hard for me after the life I've been living the past month and a half. It was a breathe of fresh air but also surprisingly uncomfortable. I was just happy to be with my favorite woman. We were in a big hotel room with two full beds, but naturally we slept together. I woke up Tuesday morning and had breakfast in bed, 21 BITCHES (sorry for my language grandma). I'm old. Like so old. I felt old when Elliot turned 21, but now I'm here and I don't quite understand. Captain Morgan, Bloody Mary's, Sauvignon Blanc, and Smirnoff Ice ensued. Mama P kept up. We had magical aromatherapy massages practically outside and delightful meals on the porch connected to our hotel room. 

Pampered AF. 

On Wednesday we ventured to my school where naturally my mom became friends with the chef, Carlos, a man from El Salvador who didn't speak a lick of Spanish. My mother not speaking much Spanish. How she manages do to things like this amazes me, but isn't surprising. Her smile and eagerness to communicate is a beautiful gift. 

Every time I had a break from class she introduced me to a new friend she met on campus. 

On Wednesday night we went to a roller rink with our group, and I was surprised to find that very few of us knew how to use the old school rollers skates with two wheels on both sides. It was hysterical to try and figure it out. We had a blast. Lisa sat out on this activity. 

On Thursday night we laid in the bed of our hotel in San Jose, drank lots of wine and watched Gilmore Girls. Of course. Where you lead I will follow. Always. 

Friday morning we woke up early and made the 3 and a half our drive to Longo Mai. A mind blowing cool place. There are Longo Mai communities all across Europe as well. They are cooperative communities that work together in order to live a free and happy life. Coexisting on land that they don't technically own. The states have a couple things to learn from places like this. We need to let go of "mine, mine, mine" and have a little more "ours, ours, ours". If only that was possible. 

Our host mom showed us the different things she grows: avocados, coconuts, plantains, bananas, guavas, cacao, among many other fruits and vegetables that don't exist in the states. They also have chickens that produce eggs and they also eat. That's about as organic and "grass fed, free range" as it gets. I would love to live like this. Knowing exactly where what I'm consuming is coming from. 

It's nearly 90 degrees here and I know I can't complain, but I really want to. Luckily there's a beautiful river just a couple blocks away that is clear and cold.
Roosters cacadoodledoodling all day (and night) long. 

It's amazing to me that I feel more comfortable and at home in this place than I do at a 5 star resort, but I couldn't be happier with that fact.

I am becoming who I have always wanted to be. Loving people and places so much more than things. Cherishing how lucky I am to be experiencing things that most people never will, and acknowledging my responsibility in spreading what I am learning to others.

Mister Michael is on his way to Texas with Stu for spring break...driving...24 hours...stress. We will be swimming in the ocean at the same time, miss those boys a whoooole lot. 

We head to the beach tomorrow for two days! I was hopeful that my mama could join, but her flight leaves much earlier than I thought on Monday and the beach is 3 hours from the airport, so we have to part ways tomorrow afternoon. But it's okay, I'm so lucky to have had her here in the first place and two short months from now I'll be back with my Minnesota people! I miss you all more than you know. 


Long life,
Hannah 








No comments:

Post a Comment