Monday, January 27, 2014

Ready or not

I said my final goodbyes at 5am this morning and hopped into the security line. It was hard but I was in such shock that I was just running on auto, having a hard time feeling anything. It also could have been that it was 5am and I hadn't had any coffee yet. Big mistake. 

Two steps, stand, two steps, stand...25 minutes later I was in. The first thing I did when I got past security was buy an orange that was about the size of my head. I don't even like oranges very much. I guess I thought it would please my mother. Sorry mom, I didn't eat the orange. I had a window seat on the first flight. Score. I got to watch the beautiful sunrise from above the clouds. And then I took my first breathe. This is really happening. Queue stress sweat. I packed 3 pairs of headphones, super necessary. But did I pack any that I could easily access? No. Logical Hannah. 5 dollars on yet another pair. Spotify premium. So clutch. One Direction obsession is still in full effect.

About 30 minutes before landing, the woman next to me and I began talking about our travels. Right before we landed she turned to me and asked if I was okay. Instantly I started crying. She asked about what I was the most nervous/sad about. And then she said a prayer for me. Tears in both of our eyes. It was exactly what I needed. In that moment I knew everything was going to be okay. God sure has a way. Thank you Amy.

I then navigated my way through the Miami airport. I didn't know what a tram was until today. Hashtag sheltered. I met up with 7 of the 8 students I will be traveling with over the next four months! Yeeeeek. They're all very nice and I'm looking forward to getting to know them all well.

I couldn't stop looking out the plane the whole way to Guatemala. Beautiful landscape everywhere. The whole trip went very smooth and I'm happy to be settled in for the night. We are staying in a hostel tonight, traveling to Antigua tomorrow for a day, and then we'll make our way to Xela (pronounced shay-lah) where we will spend 3 
weeks in a home stay. I'm in total culture shock. And exhausted. Haven't slept more than 3 hours in 2 days. 

When I woke up this morning it was -13 degrees and felt like -35. Now I sit here writing this in 70 degree weather with the breeze blowing through the window next to me. What a trip. I'm not complaining. Apologies to my fellow Minnesotans facing the tundra back home, but I probably won't shut up about this beautiful fricken weather. We have a serious day of travels and adventures tomorrow so I'm off to nap land. Until next time.

Here I am,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment