Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hola. Si. Gracious.

The language barrier is SO REAL. I am able to use maybe 10 words right now. I am feeling very angry at myself for neglecting my Spanish classes so much in the past years. Hopefully with some practice it will come back to me. But until then I am lucky that many of the students I am with speak it well and translate and speak for me. And Ruth, the woman who is traveling with us the whole trip, translates for all of our speakers. Ruth is the bomb. Her job and her work is so selfless and it's so comforting to have her in such unknown territory. 
I have already done so much and am absorbing my surroundings like a sponge. I keep having moments like in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty where the things I see are too good to photograph. And I know a picture would never do any of this justice. So instead I just gawk and lose my mind with my friends. 
I have learned that the process of culture shock is like a W. Many ups and downs. I'm very obviously at the initial peak of "holy shit this can't be real". The amount of times "I just can't even" has come of my mouth is embarrassing but I'm embracing it because I really just cannot right now. 
We had two speakers yesterday, one in Guatemala City and one in Antigua. They were incredible and there messages were powerful beyond words. The knowledge they have about their country and the passion they hold after what they've been through is admirable. After yesterday I can't even imagine how life changing this whole experience will be. I can't wait. I am so naive and it is hard but I am feeling every feeling and focusing on the positive more so than the negative I feel. I know guilt is also a big part of culture shock and I will work through it. 
I over packed severely. If only my sister could follow me wherever I go and unpack and repack for me daily. 
I want to buy every thing I see.
We meet our host families on Friday and that's fun. Oh and we are climbing a volcano on Saturday. Like...I just CANT ya know? 
We went out in Antigua last night for the first time. There was live music and people dancing everywhere. On a Tuesday. Naturally the first thing we did was a round of tequila shots. When it Guatemala. 
My bubble is being bursted more and more by the minute and it's the best thing ever. I've craved this my entire life.
I worry for when I have my first dip in the W of culture shock, but it's inevitable and probably coming soon. I am already building strong relationships with the other students I'm with and I know I will figure it out and they will help me...

Okay so I wrote that whole part on the way to Xela and then hit the first slippery slope of culture shock. It's been a very hard day. A lot going on. A lot of togetherness with the group. Life is overwhelming in every aspect and I shut down when that happens.  I'm just really glad I've connected so well with some of the people in my group and feel comfortable talking with them. I got to skype with Michael tonight which calms my spirits tremendously. I'm lucky to have him help hold my head up in times like this. As well as my family of course. 3 days and I already had a meltdown. Hopefully that means that by the end of the weak I'll be through this emotional roller coaster. But anyone that knows me well knows that isn't possible. I will bound aimlessly on this path and I know it will lead me to so many wonderful things. 

Adios,
Hannah 

I am only able to connect to internet through my phone right now, so I will share the beautiful pictures I have taken with my camera later! 

Our cute room in Antigua!

On the rooftop of our hotel in Antigua!
Cheers to the next four months! 

Rooftop of our hotel in Xela. Loving the sunshine here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment