Sunday, February 2, 2014

Si se puede!


So I hiked a volcano yesterday….A VOLCANO. It was without a doubt the most physically rigorous thing I have ever done. One of my close friends in the group, Savannah, and I stuck together for most of the time, we kind of thought our hearts might just burst out of our throats the majority of the time. Xela is a city that is in the highlands of Guatemala, so we are already in high altitude and it typically takes 2 weeks to fully adjust, we’ve been here about three days. So why not hike a volcano that goes straight up and the altitude increases drastically by the minute?

They warned us that it was going to be kind of difficult and that it goes straight up, but the leaders talked about it soooo much more casually than it actually was. I could hear my heart beat pulsating through out my entire body. It was a great time though I swear. My weak right ankle only gave out like 10 times.

I compared the hike of Chicabal (Name of the volcano) to our 4 month long trip many times. One step at a time. I had to literally tell myself that I was okay and could make it to the top and I was going to survive, “I think I can I think I can” came out of my mouth an abnormal amount, I owe Thomas the Train Engine a big one for those words of advice.

The fact that I won’t be home until May 17th and that I will be traveling to two more countries is so daunting; it feels like such a long time. I have already had one or two mental breakdowns, but I swear I am usually super mentally stable…….One step at a time.

In the crater of the volcano was a lagoon. This lagoon is looked at as sacred among the Mayan culture. The water was so calm, so clear, and so peaceful. There were 22 locations surrounding the body of water that indigenous Mayan people will go to for special ceremonies. We listened to stories of the men who lead our hike, one man actively participated in the war and was a guerilla. Groups of these men used to have to silently hike through this volcano with everything they owned on their backs during the war, always being aware of the army that bombed the volcano daily. Their stories were mind blowing.

Another woman we hiked with carried a hiking backpack full of large boulders and full water bottles. She is a firewoman and was training for when she starts in a month. And here I am panting like a dog in the middle of summer with just my camera bag. Show off.

Going down the mountain was also surprisingly difficult. This mountain was so steep. Like I’m talking straight up, straight down. Toe jam central. I only had one major wipe out. Damn lanky ankles. One step at a time.

Once we were back in the van I felt so proud of myself and the people I traveled this short journey with.  We are in this together. Step by step, when I thought I was going to keel over and let the group go on without me, I struggled on. When one of us needed a break, we all stopped. Leave nobody behind. This trip is going to be very difficult at times and I will want to give up. But if I travel one step at a time I know I will find the lagoon: my peaceful, happy place, my home.  

Yes we can!
Hannah

I just spent a long time trying to add pictures to this and it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. But I will post a lot on Facebook, so check them out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment