Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Dirty-hair, Sun-kissed cheeks


So I was planning on starting out this blog post telling about the absolutely horrific adventure getting to Lake Atitlan, practically everything that could have gone wrong, did. But the second I got off the final chicken bus and on a little boat during the sunset, the trip their was forgotten instantly, and my soul was filled with fresh air instead. As Lisa would say, the hardest situations in life result in the most miraculous surprises…like giving birth, right mama?

            It is hard to find words to describe my weekend, it was nothing short of perfect. Myself, along with 7 others from my group, spent two nights at La Iguana Perdida, a hostel right on the shore of Lake Atitlan. This place functions as it’s own tiny village of people constantly coming and going. Taking care of one another and building relationships in the short time they encounter each other in life. Multiple different sleeping quarters, a restaurant/bar, along with everything else you would ever need for a relaxing break from the real world.

            I felt like I was in the middle of a scene in Portlandia. Rianne was one of the woman who worked their as a waitress, bartender, and day-maker. She had dirty blonde hair and braids that reached her hips. We met many other friends that were old and young, who stretched to every corner of the globe, and for a moment I forgot that I was still in Guatemala.

On Friday night I impulsively jumped into the dark waters of the lake not knowing what was beneath me. It was exactly what I needed after our crazy day. My friends and I sat on the dock for a long time, the full moon lighting up everyone’s faces. Two dogs visited with us, it was nice to actually be able to pet and snuggle a cute puppy…there are stray dogs here like there are squirrels on a college campus. These dogs had collars, so we knew…assumed it was okay.

On Saturday, Savannah and I spent the day by the water, swimming and sharing stories. It was in this moment that I realized I was through culture shock and in that moment what I felt was real true happiness. Blissed out as f*ck.

Accents. Guitars. Swimming. Books. Friends. Dancing. Flame Throwing. Water. Music. Dancing. A full moon. Drinks for 10 quetzalles. And zero wi-fi. My mind just kept going back to… “Where am I? What is this magical land?”

I met many people, by only their first name, and I will probably never see them again, unable to follow them on Facebook or Instagram. It went by in the blink of an eye and I wish every one of them the best. While we may have been surrounded by too many PT’s (Pretentious travelers), I am sure they all have a story that I wish I could know. Except for that British brat, I don’t care about her story she was just plain mean.

I’m so sad to say that the first night back home myself along with a couple other girls in our group got very very sick, apparently the water of Lake Atitlan isn’t the safest around…but I still think it was worth it!

            We are in Xela for one more week, and then I have to say goodbye to my  doña Maria Theresa, and move on to Cantel, a rural community outside for Xela where we will live for about a week…and then we will take our adventure to Costa Rica! Time is going too fast.


Thirsty heart,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment