Wednesday, February 5, 2014

El hogar es donde está el corazón

Three days ago I was placed all of the students I'm traveling with and myself were placed with our host families for the next three weeks. We went to the school where we will be studying Spanish while we are here to meet them. It was all women who came to pick us up. I got placed with an older woman who dresses in traditional clothing every day. Her name is María Theresa and she rocks. At first I was very intimidated by her, as it was very clear she speaks no English...and I speak barely any Spanish. It makes communicating a task that I never found to be too difficult until now. We are slowly creating a language all our own. We act out a lot of what we're trying to say and then laugh together. And every day I come home from Spanish class I proudly spew out a whole bunch of new words I learned that day. 

This is an experience that I will never forget. She absolutely spoils me, which is common in this culture. Everyone is incredibly kind to their guests. She never let's me help her do dishes and my room is the biggest in the house. She also has a dog named Fido (pronounced fee-doh), he is so cute and loves to snuggle, and a little chickadee named Juanita. Right outside my room is a garden, in the middle of the house! There tends to be at least one room that is without a ceiling, it's so fun. And most places also have a roof terrace where you can see the entire city and the mountains surrounding Xela. The style of the homes here are so interesting. 

Yesterday afternoon my friends and I went to one of the bakeries in the city. The bakeries here are just too good to be true, even though I can't eat the bread the smells are good enough for me. I bought a pan de tortuga for Maria Theresa. In other words, a loaf of bread in the shape of/decorated as a turtle. I walked into my home before dinner and proudly presented my gift, "Un regalo para ti, es tortuga!!!" She laughed hysterically and gave me a big hug. It was so good.

I am finally starting to feel settled and I couldn't be happier. This place is starting to feel more and more like my home every day, which 3 short days ago was something I never thought I would feel. I know my host mom has an amazing story and I can't wait to learn more Spanish so I can ask about/understand it!

Home is where the heart is.
Hannah



No comments:

Post a Comment