Friday, February 7, 2014

Spanglish para días

got home from school today around 1:15. I walked into the kitchen to meet mi mamá, su amiga, y su hermano! It is her sister's cumpleaño hoy. Her sister's name is Estella and I gave her a big hug and then went to the back of the house where mi dormitorio is to put away mi trabajo de escuela. I walked back to the kitchen as lunch is at 1:30. They were all standing there waiting for me...to take a shot with them! I like it here. Shots at 1 in the afternoon to celebrate my mom's sister's birthday. I am in. Los tres mujeres said/did a series of words and gestures with their drinks and then all looked at me...looks like I am going first. (Side note: my mom is close to 65 years old and her sister turned 56 today. So soak in that visual) Gulp. Quetzalteca yum yum! We proceeded to all sit at the kitchen table. Cuatro women at a table that is muy pequeña. It was muy interesante. I thought I had a huge appetite, pero I'm learning that here I can only eat half of what most people eat. Pero hoy, I was determined to keep up. Seconds? Sí, gracias! Once I was done my mom looked at me with surprise in her eyes, and proceeded to clap for me. I did it! I was so full I felt sick, pero I was able to finish and that's all that matters. Comida is an important part of the culture here and I LOVE that. 
Tonight we are going out, it is one of the students in our groups birthday on Sunday. Michael is turning 21 so naturally we are making it a big deal, even though the drinking año aqui is dieciocho. Tomorrow we are going to Chichicastenango, which has the biggest artisan market in all of Guatemala. I am going to buy allllll of the things!!!

Adios. Hasta luego!
Hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment